DA 08/06/18

For the popular DA blog. Start a new topic for each puzzle
zinzan

DA 08/06/18

Post by zinzan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:57 am

How many ways can you get 'arse' into a grid ? A fair number with 'base' as the common indication.
Apart from that, it was pretty much a normal DA puzzle.

ACROSS
1) TAKE OFF : ddef
5) CORRECT : co(ll/rr)ect
10) FISHTAILED : (idle,faiths)*
11) MEAN : ddef : "I know what DA's driving at".
12) BEACH BUM : hm(beech),base : 'taped' is an inadequate homophone indicator. It may be taped but is it heard ?
13) ASSIST : ass(ist) : I assume it's a joke that a connoisseur of ass would be a ass-ist ? Not a very funny one.
14) STAG : stag- : i.e. stage=leg
16) SWEETHEART : hm(suite,hart) : DH on Tuesday would've just clued E+something and thought it so clever.
17) THAT DOES IT : (to,this,date)*
21) KEEN : ---k,-een
23) STREAK : ddef
24) REAR VIEW : rear,view : not sure why 'base' was not used in this clue.
26) YETI : (-e-t-i-y)* : there's been a few anagrammed alternatings recently . . .
27) ROCK BOTTOM : ddef : twerking is the bottom shake made famous by Miley Cyrus. She wasn't the first.
28) STUDIES : st(u---------d)ies
29) ULULATE : -ulu,l---,at,--e-- : bit of work needed to arrive at the answer. Zulu, btw.

DOWN
2) ARIDEST : a----t <> rides : doesn't seem a correct word but probably is.
3) ETHIC : Latin(and,here) : et hic. I think there's a Latin puzzle at The Times but I've never looked.
4) FLAMBES : f(o/lamb)es
6) OLD SALT : ---olds alt------
7) RUMP STEAK : Sp(stump rake)
8) COARSER : co(arse)r-
9) PLUMBERS CRACK : plumbers,crack
15) GET BEHIND : ge-t,behind : 'visiting' is a pretty stupid way of linking two elements. It's vague.
18) HOT SEAT : hot,seat : did I ever mention the time I missed the Hot Seat on WWTBAM by 0.04sec ? By my wife ? Never live it down . . .
19) OAK TREE : oar<>hm(Katie),-ee- : I guess 'peel seed' can be interpreted two ways. SEED without S and D, or, middle of PEEL.
20) TRAUBEL : (at,bluer)* : most solvers searched Google to check that, no doubt.
22) EKES OUT : (to,use,k---e)*
25) VITAL : VI,tal---- : 'matches'='tallies' with 'honestly'='no lies'. Love or hate moment.

It was okay. No big dramas from me. 6/10.

afrit

Re: DA 08/06/18

Post by afrit » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:46 pm

14 'disoriented' does not and never has meant to remove the orient (e) from a word. If DA wishes to imply it does he should do the right thing and add a question mark to the clue.
19 The clue only works correctly when the hyphen is removed. Once again a question mark is required to make it a fair clue.