No big dramas today. The long answers opened up a lot of the grid but it was still a bit of work needed to get through some clues. A pretty diverse answer set but only 2dn was a bit obscure.
1) BEHIND : ddef
4) SPOTLESS : spot less
10) GROVER CLEVELAND : gr(over,C-------,level)and : One of my favourite Presidents because he's a Sesame Street muppet. Not a bad clue either.
11) NEGLIGENT : gen<,l(1G)ent
12) OP ART : --o--,part
13) OMEGA : -ome ga-- : If you did my Slot 6 recently, you would've seen this one coming !
15) BREXITEER : b(r,ex,-it)eer
17) TESTAMENT : t--e,sta(me)nt : 'cut instant' = 'cut in STANT', aside from DA of old, doesn't quite make sense. It's the most irritating clue today.
18) PENAL : pen,-a----,-l---
19) PENNY : ddef : the penny drops . . .
20) JAWBONING : (join,NAB,w-----g)*
23,1dn,21dn) TWO FOUR SIX EIGHT BOG IN DON'T WAIT : (boxing,fight,twit,was,ironed,out)* +o : not too bad really.
24) SOTHEBYS : SO(the,by)S : using=by as in 'by hook or by crook' etc
25) STATED : stationed minus I,on : meh
1) see 23ac
2) HMONG : -------h,m----g<>on : I see the Viet tunnels effort but the clue got a bit too busy.
3) NEED I SAY MORE : (yes,one,may,read,in)*
5) PRETTIEST : p(r------)ettiest
6) THE ROSIE PROJECT : t(hero's)ie,project : part of my massive list of unread books but I had heard of it.
7) EL ALAMEIN : -el-,-al-,-ame-,-in- : I remember presenting a book about El Alamein to my Year 4 teacher as my next reading book. I think she knew how long that would last. She was right.
8) SADAT : Ta Da !s : voila sort of thing
9) ACRE : -acre-
14) EASING OUT : (genius,to,a)*
15) BEEF JERKY : beef,jerky : and a lesser-known John Lennon song.
16) RELEGATED : r(eleg-)ated
19) PATHS : pathos minus o
21) see 23ac
22) INGOT : got in swapped
Probably more good than bad. The long answers can be sometimes laborious but as today's weren't so much, I give it 6.5/10
For the popular DA blog. Start a new topic for each puzzle
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest