Bit late on this one. Had some stuff to do . . . and . . . it was a reasonably slow solve. There were a couple of nice moments in this puzzle and a couple of eye-roll moments. I think I'm on the positive side . . . so far.
1) DOCK : hm(doc) : some people don't like the variations of homophone indicators but this one is okay.
3) KEEP TABS ON : peek<,t(ABs)on : Able Seamen
10) SPECULATE : spate<>(clue)* : there it is again. I demand it be retired, now !!
11) HAIKU : -h,-a,-I,-k,-u : nice job to even attempt it but also pull it off.
12) ORKNEYS : -ork(yen<)s
13) IGNITE : -et in gi- < : bit unwieldy
15) CENSORSHIP : hm(sensor),ship : took longer than it should've.
17) PUMA : pum-,a : quiz=pump
19) RACY : ra(c)y
21) LAUNDROMAT : (unload,tram)*
24) NUDISM : cryptic def
25) FINESSE : fines,s---e
27) IN TOW : hm(Shinto minus sh) : don't like it. A homophone of a constructed word. Where to next ?
28) DISREPAIR : di(---s)re,pair
29) CERAMICIST : (is,crime,act)*
30) PEND : hm(penned)
1) DISCONCERT : di(sconce)rt : who knew what a sconce was beforehand ? Few methinks.
2,20) CHECK-IN COUNTER : check,(e/i)ncounter
4) EVANS : elevations minus let,i,o : had the answer waaay before knowing why. Cadel.
5) PRECISION : (I,conspire)*
6) ATHENA : 'a' then 'a' : AAH wasn't a good start, so had to work from the 'divine one' backwards.
7,22) SHIATSU MASSAGE : (has,it)*,sum,ass,age
8) NOUS : Fr(we) : hopeless at French but remember that much.
9) FUSEBOX : fuse,box : didn't like the definition and didn't like the (7) aspect.
14) CATTLEPROD : cat,pelt<,rod : rod is a gangster's gun, apparently.
16) SPASMODIC : (DAisms,cop)* : gotta pay that one. Cute.
18) CRONIES : cr(o---n)ies
20) see 2dn
22) see 7dn
23) WIGWAM : wig,w.a.m. : like 'top secret'.
25) FISTS : fi-sts : i.e. firsts
26) ZINC : zin-,c--- : bite=zing
I think HAIKU and SPASMODIC tip this into positive but it could've been more.
For the popular DA blog. Start a new topic for each puzzle
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests