DA 09/03/18

For the popular DA blog. Start a new topic for each puzzle
zinzan

DA 09/03/18

Post by zinzan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:55 am

Hmm. Reading through the clues initially, I wasn't sure I was going to get started, let alone finished. Nothing seemed to click.
My first in was 20ac which gave me a chance at 3dn which I reasoned was (mirage,a,mind)*. Then 1dn looked anagrammy with two letters missing - the only useful word being 'dismember'. So the missing 'me' and 'dreaming' coming out in 3dn both suggested 24ac.
From there it was slowish but quickened until 22dn was LOI and took a minute or two.

** denotes ME is included after the wordplay.
ACROSS
**1) DEMEAN : dean
**4) NUMEROUS : n(Ur)ous
**10) SENTIMENT : sen,tint
**11) OMEGA : ago< : Marathon's finish suggest the 'last' in Marathon (or Greece).
12) ENDORSE : (-orsened)*
**13) MEDICAL : -lacid< : placid. Major quibble as the ME isn't 'pinched' like all the others are i.e. held between other letters. If DA had said to 24dn from the definition before completing the wordplay, then it may have been okay.
15) BALLASTED : balla(set*)d
**18) SUMER : sur- : in teen-speak, sure=totally. Hadn't really thought that Sumerians were from Sumer.
20) RADII : (-i-a-i- D -r)* : need to be fluent DAnglish to get that as your first in.
21) ENDLESSLY : Brenda minus end is bra, so Brenda 'endlessly' is a supporter.
23) PLEDGEE : p(has/ledge-)e : three in a row that are convoluted. It's why many people baulk at Fridays.
24) PINCH ME : pin,ch-me
**26) AMEND : and
**28) SUN HELMET : (h,lent,us)*
**29) BITUMENS : b-----,(units)*
30) STORER : (resort)* : as simple as DA will ever get. Obviously decided the surface was enough.

DOWN
**1) DISMEMBER : (S,M,bride)* : apparently to joint a chicken is to cut through the joint.
2) MINED : d(e-----n)im<
3) AM I DREAMING : (mirage,a,mind)*
**5) UNTAMED : un,tad
6) ENO : (eon)* : Brian, producer.
**7) OVERCOMES : over,cos-
8) SHALL : shallot minus OT
**9) CEMENT : cent
**14) DISCERNMENT : disc,e-r-n- n-t
**16) LODGEMENT : (old)*,gent
17) EON : one>e,on : the foot is 'e' lifted to the front.
**19) RHYMESTER : (s/r)hyster : radical=r
**21) EMERSON : -erson
22) DOPING : do ping !
23) PLAN B : P(l-a-n-)b
**25) HOMER : -hor-
27) DIM : (a/d)im

A good job of cramming 18 (17?) workable answers into the grid. There wasn't much to get upset about.
It provided a decent amount of entertainment and value. 8/10.

Dr Bob

Re: DA 09/03/18

Post by Dr Bob » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:02 pm

I interpreted "pinch me" as "steal me" - as in add "me" to the letters from the wordplay"?
A nice challenging crossword - 29a with 3d led "me" to the the. :)