The last DA for 2018. A rubric appears. Will it be a Xmas theme ? A NY theme ? A Sydney to Hobart theme ?
Nah. Just a theme that barely appears on my radar. I knew 6 of the 8 theme answers but couldn't tell you too much more than some BIG hits.
Anyway, if you like 'both kinds or music, country AND western' (name that film!)*, this was for you.
1) see 24dn
5) WOLF CUB : low<,FC,-u-b- : not bad.
9) AIRHEADS : air,heads : ie nautical toilets. Made much harder trying to solve H---S--R. It was really hard.
10) see 18ac
11) SCHWA : s(ch)wa- : ie sway. A lovely word for setters.
>>12) SLIM DUSTY : slim,dusty
>>14) SARA STORER : s(a,tsar<)orer : never heard of her.
16) MALT : m------,Alt
>>18) TROY CASSAR-DALEY : (actor,sadly,years)* : not a bad anagram.
>>19) PATSY CLINE : patsy,c-line
21) NOSTALGIC : (closing,at)* : not sure that 'rallies' is a good indicator.
23) TOTEM : met,OT <
>>25) DOLLY PARTON : dolly,part,on
27) AYR : -ayr--- : is it dividing ? . . .
28) ENDWISE : -e,-n,-d,wise
29) ESSENCE : ddef
1) see 9ac
>>2) GARTH BROOKS : gar,t----h,brooks : heard of him, couldn't tell you a song. Didn't like 'endwise' being involved that way.
3) ARCHAISM : (charisma)*
4) DOSES : do(s/-)es : ie doss. More English methinks.
5) WEARINESS : w(ear)ines,----s : distracted by 'listener'.
6) LA-DI-DA : L,Adida-
7) COL : col(onel) : I used to play Stratego a lot. Only way I know army ranks. Oh, and M*A*S*H.
8) BAY MYRTLE : (army,let,by)* : odd surface.
>>13) SHANIA TWAIN : sh,a-n-i-,(Taiwan)* : my entry into the theme.
14) SET ON EDGE : s(note<)edge
15) ORANGEADE : o(rang,e---a)de : never had it.
17) ACETONES : ace,tones
20) PAPYRI : pa--,p---------y,r,i
22) CUTIE : cut,i.e. : okay clue.
>>24) MERLE HAGGARD : (merel-)*,haggard : never heard of him.
26) LAD : la-d---- : a damp finish.
As I was not very interested in the theme, I was not very interested in the puzzle. And there were some annoying clues and no real zingers.
*the film, of course, was The Blues Brothers. Orange whip, anyone ?
For the popular DA blog. Start a new topic for each puzzle
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests