May Slot 7 Eightsome Reels

Please do not open discussion until after the competition closes
zinzan

May Slot 7 Eightsome Reels

Post by zinzan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:45 pm

Now that the deadline has passed, I'll ask for opinions on :

No. 4 : Characteristic of keyboard's top row? (8)
and
No. 37 : Totally moronic swap left no serenity as a result (8)

Both were problematic for solvers. Anyone have serious problems with these ? Doubts ? Misgivings ?

crowsman

Re: May Slot 7 Eightsome Reels

Post by crowsman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:25 am

OK, I'll comment on each of them, without knowing if my submitted answers are correct or not.

For 4, I tossed up for a long while between TYPIFIER and OVERTYPE, both of which fitted, but neither seemed quite satisfactory. My problem was that I was interpreting "keyboard's top row" as that row with all of the F buttons along the top of the keyboard. Eventually PROPERTY also arose, and matched the potential definition "characteristic" as a noun. Then I remembered that the QWERTYUIOP keyboard row does generate PROPERTY. After guessing that this was the intended row, I submitted PROPERTY, without certainty.

Personally, if MILDNESS is correct in 37, I would have used "new" in the clue rather than "no", even though the surface reading would not be as good.
We need to interpret "no" as "no. = number" which can also be represented as the single letter "n" according to Chambers. This is more of a stretch than "new = n". Then my analysis of the clue is "totally moronic = MINDLESS", and "swap left no" is a delayed instruction to swap L and N. The definition is "serenity as a result = MILDNESS". If that is correct, the query is "no = n".

Overall, I really appreciated and enjoyed this different challenge.

Crowsman.

zinzan

Post by zinzan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:30 pm

Whoda thunk Yes and No weren't in Chambers as Y and N ?

Gee, it's such a natural use. I wonder why not ?

crowsman

Post by crowsman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:19 am

Sorry! I must admit I did not think of that. Getting old!

But at least it seems I got it correct anyway.

Crowsman

isla

Post by isla » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi Zinzan,
4. Apart from not liking this type of clue* (e.g. "a collection of notes" for random letters between A & G), I think the clue doesn't really work, QWERTY is (almost) never the top row. You'd struggle to find a keyboard without the numbers above QWERTY, and almost all have function keys as well. Didn't stop me solving it - approached the clue with ERT in place, first guess was it was going to be a made-up word like QWERTYISM. Surprised and impressed when PROPERTY appeared.

37. Got MILDNESS after thinking MINDLESS, then reading the clue and deciding what should be the result. At the time I didn't notice the N = NO, which isn't in any of my dictionaries. So a pass for precision in pointing to the correct parsing, but marks off for non-standard abbreviations.

The one clue I raised an eyebrow at was LICHTING defined as a system of illumination. Not a speaker of any of the hundreds of dialects of Scottish (except a few words of Aberdonian Fitlike) but I suspect no Scotsman would use the word LICHTING. Only my suspicion - it could easily be in common use.

And like Crowsman I enjoyed this, a difficult but interesting challenge. Managed it all without aids coming back to it a few times over a few days, but needed 4 or 5 post-solve checks to confirm. But the two clues 4 and 37 I was very confident about, no checks needed.

Isla

* Hypocrisy alert: I have used clues like this myself.

zinzan

Post by zinzan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:09 am

Well I'm usually the first to get cranky when I read 'Scottish' in a clue - it may as well be another language.
That spot was going to fail (and I'd have to unravel a few answers) when I finally found it. So I gritted my teeth and continued.

I thought PROPERTY was quirky enough to include. I admit it could have used 'of letters' somewhere. But it is a word puzzle . . .

I reckoned 'as a result' was a pretty clear indicator of which version to choose. I'm really surprised so many didn't see it that way.