DA 16/02/18

For the popular DA blog. Start a new topic for each puzzle
zinzan

DA 16/02/18

Post by zinzan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 am

Well it's been a few weeks holiday from DA puzzles and mostly all SMH puzzles. I took some Guardian and Times with me but no SMH. It's funny how you forget how to solve a particular puzzle when you haven't read one for a while. Today is a case in point. It took quite some time to get back on the wavelength . . . and remember what you happily forgot.

ACROSS
1) NIGHTCLUBS : -night-,clubs : chess pieces are now 'movers', as are many, many other items.
6) AC/DC : acidic minus i,i : if you didn't see 'rock band' with (2/2) then you may as well give up now . . .
10) CHURL : c----,hurl
11) METHODISM : (modest,him)* : a quiz on holiday alerted me that Wesley was the man.
12) AVIATOR : rota< <> via : happily forgot, I said . . .
13) SKILLED : s---,killed : at least Scarface has some relevance in the surface.
14) CHARLOTTES WEB : (tw-et,bachelors)* : thought Patrick White for too long.
18,6dn) OBSERVATIONAL COMEDY : mmm, maybe needed another indication.
20) CUT-OUTS : cu,touts
21) PITCH IN : pit,chin
23) ORTHODOXY : -orth,o,doxy : doxy is a prostitute apparently. Value 'topped' is w/orth. Expected -ology but no.
24) KANJI : ka,(j-in)* : I guess 'lifebuoy' is the 'o' dropped from 'join'. That leaves KA = pontoon? Why ? Happy I was . . .
25) LISP : norse with a lisp is north : though the clue suggests 'norse' is how 'north' might unintentionally sound. Anyone ?
26) UNIVERSITY : (intrusive)*,y : genuinely misled. Assumed Sydney or Melbourne would lead to a 'city' component in the answer. It didn't.

DOWN
1) NO CHANCE : no(cha-)nce
2) GAUDI : --------g,Audi : anyone know if the Sagrada Familia is finished yet ? I was there in 1989.
3,19) TELL TALES OUT OF SCHOOL : ddef : not that familiar with the phrase.
4) LAMER : La Mer
5) BATHSHEBA : (babe,hasht--)* : was it worth mangling the 'hashtag' idea into the clue ? No. Just made it laborious.
7) CHILLY BIN : C(hilly)B,in : I assume that's an Esky in New Zullund. (Nelson being a city).
8) see 18ac
9) JODIE WHITTAKER : jo(wit,i,hated)*ker : some people probably rejoiced at the Whovian connection. Me ? I just surprised myself that I knew to say 'Whovian'. Someone forced me to watch an episode once - that's my sum total. And does the clue make sense ? Not to me.
15) APOSTATES : ----a,op<,state's : I'm assuming nation=state in a general sense.
16) TURNS DOWN : hm(terns),down
17) SLANGILY : s(Lang,I)ly : meh.
19) see 3dn
21) PAY TV : pa(y---t)v
22) HANOI : ha-,No.1

I might start booking my next holiday right now. Or I could just dust myself down, suck it up and grimly stare down the prospect of next week.
5/10.
Last edited by zinzan on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Robespierre

Re: DA 16/02/18

Post by Robespierre » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:15 am

24a King + Ace is one combination to yield "pontoon" in the card game.
Did you hit the "Submit" key prematurely as the DOWN clues are missing?

zinzan

Post by zinzan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:20 am

No, I hit Submit after Across in case I stupidly close my window . . . again . . . and lose my thoughts up til then.

KA, pontoon, so true ! I might even steal that one.

afrit

Post by afrit » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:19 pm

26 Surely jockeys back is 's'. Did DA means to say jockey's back? Another example of Fairfax's sloppy editing.

16 One feather does not a down make.