DA 06/04/18

For the popular DA blog. Start a new topic for each puzzle
zinzan

DA 06/04/18

Post by zinzan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:18 am

Well, I'm glad THAT got cleared up. Having decided I'd work around 19ac etc, one of my early answers was 32ac CD DISC and I thought 'that's a bit rank'. Then 2dn seemed to create a pattern and from there the theme was evident.

ACROSS
1) INCISE : -i,-n,-c,-i,s---e
4) MONA LISA : ---monal I sa-
10) BRUNT : burnt with r--- moved
11) PRINCEDOM : (remind,cop)* : is it the same as principality ?
12) STRONG : s--t,hm(wrong) : geez I hate split homophones, especially of a single syllable.
13) ADRIANA : ad,(an air)<
15) PAY UP : pa,yup
17) SPARE CASH : (crass,heap)* : a 'crass heap' is what ? Maybe this clue . . .
19,21dn,31ac) REDUNDANT ACRONYM SYNDROME : (many,understand)*<>crony,d-----,Rome : not sure if DA made that up. RAS Syndrome was unknown to me.
23) TITAN : tit,a-----------n
25) CONQUER : hm(conker) : horse chestnut = conker
26) see 1dn
29) LAZYBONES : (slob,zany,---e)* : &lit in construction but is the definition good enough ? . . .
30) CLAMP : c(r/l)amp
31) see 19ac
32) CD DISC : C(did)*S,c------

DOWN
1,26ac) ISBN NUMBER : is(b----)n-,number : why is 'brown'='number' ? [ Just saw it : should be is(b---n)n-,umber ]
2) see 28dn
3) SET-TO : set,---to---
5) OKINAWA : ok,in a wa-
6) AC CURRENT : (o/a)ccur,rent
7) INDIANA : -indi,an,a : I may see this wrong. Is it Hindi minus H ? 'support' an a ? Not sure.
8) ATM MACHINE : (meant)*<>Mach I
9) LPG GAS : LP(g---g,-a-)s : yuk.
14) SPERM CELLS : s(perm,c)ells
16) PIN NUMBER : pin,number
18) PEN : penchant minus chant : there's much prison slang crossworders have to know.
20) DENIZEN : den,i,Zen
21) see 19ac
22) TANIST : (titans)* : something Celtic. Didn't really care.
24) THE MAGI : them,-a-g-i- : seemed an answer forced into the grid.
27) MACED : Maced----
28,2dn) OPEC COUNTRY : (your,concept)* : OPEC appears to be 'Countries', so it's not quite clear cut as RAS. No one refers to an 'OPEC' in the same way they might a 'PIN' or 'ATM'. I think this one is faulty.

Not great. Some ordinary clues and an underwhelming, possibly incorrect, theme.
4/10.

Robespierre

Re: DA 06/04/18

Post by Robespierre » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:04 pm

The overall theme is fine: Wikipedia has an article on "RAS Syndrome", so it's clearly an established concept - with RAS itself being a redundant acronym!

1d, 26a I agree with your interpretation of the wordplay but think that clue wording such as "brown covers" would more fairly signal that you need to take a letter from each end of "brown". Of course, a plural here stuffs up the rest of DA's syntax [one brown cover].